Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The great breakfast struggle

When I was growing up, most breakfasts followed a common theme - some sort of bread with peanut butter and milk, eaten on the way out the door. My mother is a wonderful cook, but Daddy has never had any interest in eating breakfast, so there wasn't much use making an elaborate meal out of it. Consequently, I came into marriage being reasonably equipped to cook for my beloved...but NONE of my armory of recipes included breakfast ideas. I like hot cereal, so the first year of our marriage, my menu looked like this:

Day 1: Oatmeal
Day 2: Sweetened rice
Day 3: Toast and jelly
Day 4: Corn Meal Mush

Unfortunately, this is the way Taylor remembers that menu:

Day 1: Mushy stuff
Day 2: MORE Mushy stuff
Day 3: Toast and jelly
Day 4: Mushy stuff Again!!!???

Anyway, I've now spent bits and pieces of the last 5 yrs. hunting for other options to breakfast. :) I was really excited today to find a GRANOLA recipe that did NOT require remembering to stir the stuff every 5 minutes for over an hour! This one cooks for less than 10 minutes in a pot on top of the stove, dump it out and let it cool! Hey...this is almost as easy as making "mushy stuff", and I hope it will go over better with one very important diner around here. :)

- P.S. If anybody else is curious, comment and I'll post the recipe.

1 comment:

Lehrmann said...

Oohh...I would love to have the recipe. Thanks!