Friday, November 14, 2008

Wonderful Windy West Texas

I grew up in West Texas; I should be used to windstorms. However, this lonely hill top we live on has taught me a lot about the power of the One who makes the wind blow wherever He wishes! We were enjoying a typical morning when Taylor sent me a message saying that the cold front we are expecting was on it's way, pushing a lot of wind in front of it. (Translation: please brave your way outside and rescue anything that's blowing around and cover the water faucets we should have covered two days ago. Thanks! ) So, leaving Daniel to sleep on his mat in the house, the big kids and I went out to brave the blast, which Taylor informs me is gusting up to 45 miles per hour. :) The kids picked up their toys and put them in the barn while I took the mail out to the mail box. When I came back, Glory bravely threw herself on top of the laundry basket while I stuffed clothes under her to keep them from blowing away. By this time, Levi was tired of standing up, so I sent him to sit on the porch with the dog out of the wind. As soon as we had rescued the laundry, I sent the kids inside and fed the chickens and drained the water hoses. We are now all back inside the calm of the house, four kinds of tired and hair standing up like we had volunteered for a science demonstration. Whew! Scripture tells us to be content with such things as we have; I suppose that includes the wind - which we definitely have our share of!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm from CA and therefore ignorant of common Texas situations. Why would you need to cover the water faucets?
~Beck's Mom~

Alesha said...

To Beck's Mom:

Covering the water faucets is not something we do because of the wind, but because of the cold front that the wind was pushing in. Outdoor water faucets have to be covered in the winter around here. If we leave an outdoor faucet uncovered on a night that it gets well below freezing, the water inside the faucet will freeze and expand, possibly breaking the faucet and leaving a geyser when everything thaws back out. Since we're not living up North where it gets even colder in the winter, all the insulation they need is a big tin can stuck over the top with a rock on it so it doesn't blow off! :) Sorry for not explaining better...I forgot about CA "winter". :)