Sunday, March 30, 2008

Snakes

It is that time of year again...actually, it is a bit early, but with this warm weather the rattlesnakes are coming out to enjoy the day also. So let me tell you about our first encounter this year:

It was a nice, but warm (~90*) day today and as soon as the sun went down a cool breeze came in. The dogs (and cat) were very excitable this evening. We called the dogs in around 9pm because Pete was circling the house...probably looking for trouble to dig up (pun intended). Pascal (the cat) stayed outside and did not want to come in yet. Alesha went out to hang some more clothes (with Pascal around, she feels reasonably safe since he can see creepy things in the dark better than we can). Alesha came back in, but Pascal wanted to stay out. We had our windows open to feel the breeze come through the house. Alesha went to the window and heard a strange, but somewhat familiar sound, but she did not think, "Snake!" (keep in mind that our new house makes many interesting sounds that we constantly mistake for other things...in fact, just now (I thought) I heard Levi crying in bed, but no, it was just the water heater screaming quietly in its closet). Alesha stepped outside on to our porch to listen to the sound better; she saw Pascal about 10 feet away staring at the house and the strange yet familiar sound made complete sense. It was a rattlesnake! So I got the gun, and blew him in half on the 1st shot (yea!...I do not consider myself a very good shot...especially, when trying to hit a skinny piece of rope laying next to my new house). I took another shot at the snake, because I really wanted the head separated from the body. Eventually, I used a hoe to finish him off. It was all quite an exciting evening. I saved the body...well, what is left of the body for the kids to play with in the morning. ;-)

Enjoy!
Taylor

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! Taylor shooting a gun!
You grandmother ...and great grandmother would be very proud!
(for me.....I've never even thought about holding a gun) I guess I'm glad that you've got the "eye" for hitting the target!
Love,
Mom (Granny B)