Friday, March 26, 2010

A Debate

Today was a reasonably eventful day. It started off by me finally
getting some money, but the more interesting part of that was that
while we were riding through the park we saw the Mayor (but that is
not really his title but that is essentially his job function). He is
not a Christian but he does seem to appreciate the work that is being
done here. I got to shake hands with him.

Next, I did some electrical work...yeah, the buidling that we are
renting is in pretty bad shape in terms of electrical power, but from
what I have seen much of City Bell is this way. I was able to fix some
light swithes which might otherwise cost the saints here several
hundred dollars. Praise the Lord, I'm glad that I can be some help
even though there is such a great language barrier.

This evening, we got back from a debate...it was actually called a
"forum" between a Catholic priest and the Protestant preacher here. I
did not understand much of the discussion but there were about 50
people in attendance, which meant standing room only. Most people
seemed quite pleased with the debate. It was the most Argentine
greetings that I had given/dealt in such rapid succession. (An
Argentine greeting consists of a small hug ang "kiss" on the cheek,
usually right cheek, though few kisses actually ever involve lips. In
reality it is more of a touch between cheeks and a kissing sound.) I
am getting better at it though Garrett says that I am still very stiff
about the whole thing.

The most awesome part about today was correcting Garrett! Well ok so I
did not really correct his grammer, but I did know and use a word that
he did not know. It is the word for "heel" like the part of a foot.
Facu had told me earlier in the day that his foot was hurting and I
managed to retain the word until I asked him about it at the end of
the day!

(Though I don't feel like I am making much progress, I am able to
recall words better and faster than I did only two days ago.)

Enjoy!

Posted via email from yafnrp's posterous

No comments: